Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Pinochet, or Pinot Chet

So this morning as I was preparing to come to work and goof off for a bit I starting thinking about things to blog about. First thing that came to mind was the mispronunciation of deceased Chilean President Augusto Pinochet's last name(pronounced pee-no-shay) all last week by NPR reporters. I can't stand it when someone uses a hard T sound when a word ends in "et" ever since I studied French in high school. But as I prepared to sit down this morning at 7:30 to waste the first half-hour of my day something happened. The high school.

God only knows what was the cause, but half the school's power was out, and there were surges throughout the rest of it. So off I go to deal with that and spend four hours there going all over the school once the power was restored to look at computers, that according to their users were "Fri-ied, I knows it." I will say that we do have one cooked monitor in a classroom, and one dead motherboard in the "Liberry." However, I don't think either was really related to said power outage. So finally now five hours later I can rant about Pinochet.

I guess what bugs me most about it is that it was NPR reporters doing it. I mean if local favorites Rick and Bubba had pronounced it "Pie-on-chet" I wouldn't have been surprised in the least. Or if other big time southern redneck DJ's Johnboy and Billy or their closeted producer Randy had mispronounced this name it would have been very common place. But dammit this is NPR for God's sake. They are supposed to be better than that. I mean this isn't some small time morning show gone national, it's NATIONAL PUBLIC RADIO! I know that it is considered OK to pronounce it the other way, but it I equate this with pronouncing my hometown as Mo-bile or Mobil, it's MOBILE(Moe-Beale)

And yes I appreciate the irony that I am not necessarily using the correct spellings of the phonetic pronunciations, but why the hell should I? Pinot Chet? I mean come on.
And on that note:

On This Date In History:

Daniel Webster, Argument Before the Supreme Court in the Dartmouth College Case, 1819.
With these words, Daniel Webster concluded his successful defense of the inviolability of the royal charter of Dartmouth College which was originally obtained on December 13, 1769.
"In his landmark Dartmouth College v. Woodward decision (1819)," Gerard W. Gawalt and Marvin W. Kranz of the Manuscript Division of the Library of Congress write of the case:
Chief Justice John Marshall (1755-1835) supported the inviolability of the charter as a contract and ruled that the college, under the charter, was a private and not a public entity. As such, the school was protected from the state's regulatory power through the contract clause of the United States Constitution. By interpreting the contract clause as a way of protecting corporate charters from state intervention, Marshall established the Constitution as a powerful tool for safeguarding property rights and limiting state authority.


Oh and Little Buddy,
WHAT,WHAT!

5 comments:

Dina said...

I use to get aggravted when people would pronounce "pecan", as "pee-can". It just sounds gross. Then I started pronouncing it that way just to be facetious.. now I can't stop saying it like that.

I also use to pronoune "lasagna" as "dasagna."

Dina said...

Our mother went to winn dixie and got some wine today. She said she called you for advice, and you told her to refridgerate it, then to take it out and let it "breath."

she tells me we are skipping that step and just breaking it open without regard to your advice.

maybe mom and I can get tanked and wander about the neighborhood. Maybe we can even get in on some vandalization, or even visit the "prostitue bin" down the street in Charlanda. You know the one; the house with the fuschia shrine on the top floor. At night the yard is always filled with cars.. I need to get to the bottom of this. I also need to know why the creepy olderish man sits in front of his Altima every morning, smoking a cigarette.

Do you think I could fit in with their clique? I desperately want to be in a clique, I am a bit of a floater nowadays! Your nephew recommened I join in the capybara fighting circuit, do you think I would excel within this crowd? Maybe I can become one of the "emo" guys who sits outside of the humanities building at south, playing acoustic guitar and singing about women.

We also have a militant feminist organization on campus. I have seen them on campus with their mullets and steel toe boots. I like that. Femininity is so overrated.ish. ..uh, so okay, I happen to enjoy my womannessity.

wait, what was I orginally talking about?

Dina said...

WHITE WALLS = OPPRESSION!!

.

Dina said...

I like the weather icon you've got going on there. It's nice! Nice like...weather.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.